Travel Tips

A few useful travel tips to prepare you for your vacation in Jamaica. No matter where in the world you’re traveling, it’s important to stay safe and know how to get around. If the information you are looking for is not listed, please use the form below to request it.

U.S. Citizens traveling to and from Jamaica must present a valid passport when leaving and or re-entering the United States.  Residents must present their Alien Resident Card (Green Card) together with passport of country for which they hold citizenship. All visitors are required to travel with a return ticket or onward ticket for entry into Jamaica. For more information, go to:

Canadian Citizens: Valid passport or a government-issued identification with photograph, along with an official birth certificate. Canadian residents must present a Canadian Permanent Resident Card and a passport showing country of citizenship.

Visitors traveling via airlines can go to to review travel document requirements.

More information on Jamaica is available on:

Jamaica Embassies and High Commissions

Consulates and Consulates-General

No matter where in the world you’re traveling, Montego Bay is no exception. It is important to      know where you are going and the requirements, how to stay safe, keep your property safe at all times. Here are some tips to make your Jamaican vacation safe and fun.

Give friends and family your contact information and itineraries in case of emergency.

Register with your country’s embassy or consulate before you travel in case of emergency.

Keep luggage, handbags or backpacks in view at all times.

Don’t take around large amounts of cash. This can attract undue attention.

Avoid wearing expensive jewelry on road trips, each or excursions.

Jamaica has a tropical climate, characterized by high temperatures and humid conditions all-year-round. Average temperature ranges from 66 degrees Fahrenheit (19 degrees Celsius) to 99 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius).

The island has two rainy seasons from May to June and September to November. The hurricanes season is from June to September. Rainfalls are usually short, most of the time in the afternoon.

Licensed cambio centers and commercial banks are accessible in all resort areas. The official currency exchange rates vary daily, so it’s advisable to shop around for the best rate before converting your cash. Most of our ATMs accept international bank cards, with Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus and Plus logos. Banks also give credit card advances, change traveler’s checks and other financial services.

– National Commercial Bank – Negril 957-4163
– Scotia Bank – Negril 957-4236 / 957-9466

Jamaica falls within the Eastern Time Zone (UTC/GMT -5 Hours) and does not observe Daylight Savings Time. At approximately 18 degrees north of the equator, the island falls within the tropics, and as such does not experience drastic seasonal changes in sunrise and sunset times. Year-round, the island averages between 11.5 and 12.5 hours of sunlight per day.

The electrical supply in Jamaica is 110 volts/50 cycles standard (Some larger hotels also may have 220 volts/50 cycle AC available), and electrical appliances use plugs that are two-pronged and flat (such as those used in the United States and Canada). Bring along any adaptors of convertors you might need if this doesn’t suit some of your appliances and chargers. Most hotels will provide you with hair dryers, alarm clocks, radio and a clothes iron, but make sure you find out first.

Jamaica has hundreds of natural springs and rivers, both above and underground. Over the years, we have developed extensive water treatment and supply systems island-wide, so all drinking water in Jamaica is purified and filtered by modern methods. Our water is safe for you to drink, clean your teeth, bath and wash clothing in. If you choose not to drink the water, rest assured – there are many brands of Jamaican spring water that meet or exceed the highest international standards, available at most shops and restaurants.

Cell phone service is available but maybe expensive. Check with your provider.   Cell phone rentals also are available, but compare rates. Wireless Internet access  is available at many hotels and other sites around Jamaica.

In Jamaica, we drive on the left side of the road. The speed limit is 50 kmph (30 mph) in built-up areas, and 80 kmph (50 mph) on highways, and all drivers are required to carry a valid license. Jamaica recognizes valid International Driver’s Licenses, but visitors from North America may use their country’s license for up to three months per visit. Car rental is available in most major towns, cities and airports. You have to be 25 years old to rent a car in Jamaica.

We love animals here on the island, but we do ask you to make sure your pets are healthy if they are coming along with you on your trip. In keeping with international standards, the importation of all live animals into Jamaica requires an import permit from the Veterinary Services Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, prior to arrival in Jamaica. All animals must be rabies-free, and must never have been rabies vaccinated. Dogs and cats (with permits) are allowed into Jamaica only from Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Eire.

For more information, contact the Veterinary Services Division: tel. 876-977-2489 or 876-977-2492. To secure a permit, fax a letter of request to 876-977-0885.

Sangster International Airport

Located in Montego Bay, most tourists land here. It’s the better port of entrance if you’re headed to Montego Bay, Ocho Rios or Negril. In addition to international terminals, this airport has a domestic terminal with local flights that depart regularly to Kingston, Negril, Port Antonio and Ocho Rios. Taxis, hotel shuttles and car rental companies are available to help you get to your final destination. For more information, just visit

Norman Manley International Airport

Located in Kingston, use this airport if you’re visiting the capital city, Port Antonio or heading to the beautiful Blue Mountains. Efficient transport can be arranged to take you to the domestic airport in Kingston, Tinson Pen, where flights are available to other parts of the island. Car rentals, taxi services and tour operators are located in the Arrivals Ground Transportation Hall to help you get to your destination, safely and happily. For more information, just visit

Ian Fleming International Airport

Our newest international airport, the Ian Fleming International Airport, is located in the Ocho Rios resort area. It is a convenient entry point to Jamaica’s north coast for small aircraft. Many of Jamaica’s renowned villas and resorts are only minutes away. For your convenience, car rentals, taxi services and shuttles are easily arranged.


Tim Air  – 876 952 2516


Air Canada – 876-952-5160/2 or 952-3801
American Airlines –  1-800-744-0006
Caribbean Airlines – 1-888-359-2475
Continental Airlines – 876-952-5530
Delta Airlines – 876-952-9740/971-1284
International Air Link – 876-952-5531
Southwest Airlines – 1-800-425-8130
US Airways –  876-940-0172
Jet Blue – 876-952-1496/952-9535
Virgin Atlantic – 876-974-2323

Accordion Content

Marijuana (known in Jamaica as Ganja)

Possession of 2 ounces or less of marijuana is allowed in Jamaica. However, it is a criminal offence to be in possession of over 2 ounces of ganja, and offenders can be arrested, charged, tried in court and, if found guilty, sentenced to a fine or to imprisonment or both.

Medical Marijuana
Persons who do not reside in Jamaica may apply for a permit to allow them to lawfully purchase and possess up to 2 ounces of marijuana at a time, for medical or therapeutic purposes. The permit is issued by the Ministry of Health for a fee.

There is a comprehensive ban on tobacco and cigarette smoking in indoor public places, indoor workplaces, and public transport. The law also prohibits smoking in several outdoor places and within five meters of entrances, exits, windows, and ventilation intakes of a public place, workplace, or public transport.

A person who smokes in public cannot be arrested or detained. However, the police may issue a ticket to that person, who will have 30 days to pay $500JM at any Tax Office. Smoking at privately occupied residencies that are not used for commercial purposes is not an offence, but is governed by rules on possession of ganja referred to above.

Furthermore, smoking of ganja will be legally permitted in places that are licensed for the smoking of ganja for medical or therapeutic purposes. Adherents of the Rastafarian faith will also be permitted to smoke ganja for sacramental purposes in locations registered as places of Rastafarian worship.